However a wrench just got thrown at us last night.
We found out that my 95 year old Mother is in a hospice facility and will probably not live more than 48 hours. I am devastated that I cannot be there with her and with the gathering family. John and I were able to see and talk with her a week ago through the miracle of Skype, thoughtfully orchestrated by my sister Cheryl. While John went to work today, I spent the day alone reminiscing and writing about Mom. It has been therapeutic and comforting. My thoughtful husband offered to let me fly home (which I declined). I knew when we left the U.S. that this might happen and spent 2 weeks with Mom before we went into the MTC.
I am comforted by the knowledge that Mom's young and vibrant spirit has now been released from her care-worn body to be with loved ones beyond the veil. Nevertheless...... I shed tears occasionally... when I see the concern of our children flying/driving out to be with Mom in her waning hours... when I pray for Mom ... when I think of how I will miss her constant loving support. I always felt like a queen when I was near her because of her constant love and acceptance.
Next day: Mom has passed quietly with no pain, surrounded by loved ones on both sides of the veil. Children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren were crowded around her bed for her last 3 days in the hospice. She lapsed in and out of consciousness, smiled when conscious, tried to sing occasionally. A very nice way to go. She was able to live independently in a retirement apartment to the end of her life (with a little help from my sister Cheryl who kept her active and healthy). She was able to read, play piano occasionally, sketch. Though Dad has been gone for over 20 years, she had a good life to the end. I will miss her but have the assurance that she is happier now and once again with Dad.
We leave for another week+ trip to visit projects: past, ongoing, and potential sites. So I will work quickly to finish this before we drive out.
We had some political violence at Uhuru Park. I wrote in last week's blog about the constitution that is gong to be approved/disapproved by voters on Aug 4. Some preachers, upset by a provision allowing abortion if a mother's life is in jeopardy had called for a massive rally in Uhuru Park on Sunday afternoon. Hundreds of people gathered in the park, which is near our flat, listening to loudspeakers broadcasting the loud chants, singing and preaching in the park as we were trying to nap and read. About 6-7 pm we heard some loud popping sounds. We found out the next day that 3 explosions had gone off, killing 6 and wounding about 100 people. There is also a lot of contention on a section of the constitution allowing Muslim courts to try Muslim people. A third point of contention is coming from citizens fighting the attempt of the Kenyan government to begin taxing their large tracts of unused land (eat your hearts out U.S. landowners).
The highlight of the last week (before Mom's death overshadowed everythng in importance) was a handing over ceremony celebrating the completion of one of our major water projects...185 shallow wells. These wells were dug by the community. The holes were then lined with rocks and cement, casing, rods, ropes, and a pump were then installed and all of it was covered with a cement slab so that the well is not open to contamination or vandalism. When the project is completed, a public ceremony is held to symbolize the turning over of the wells to the community.
Unfortunately there is no proper order to the following pictures since this was my first attempt to do the blog myself. Our daughter Caroline has been posting my emails, but she is on vacation (actually in SLC with my Mom's funeral), so I am making my first feeble attempt at publishing my own blog.

The Honorable Charity Ngilu, Minister of Water and Irrigation for Kenya is pictured here taking symbolic possession of the wells Latter-day Saint Charities has financed. We are also joined by Elder Hesbon Usi, a member of the Seventies Quorum, and the ranking Church member in the area. Minister of Water and Irrigation is one of the most important posts in the Country; Mrs. Ngilu has been a Presidential candidate and is very highly thought of. She is quite a politician. She said some very nice things about the Church in English before she talked about the upcoming constitutional vote to the people in their native Kamba language. Understandably, she spoke much longer and more animatedly about the constitution than she did about the Church. You can see that the feelings about the constitution run high, with the recent violence.
Picture taken with 2 sister missionaries at the Monday night seniors' FHE where these sweet sisters were asked to speak. They are dynamos. Interesting that all of their contacts are men, who I think are trying to convert the sisters.
The next picture provides a
very nice pictoral symbol: Elder Usi pumping water provided by the Church to the Honorable Charity Ngilu who represents the government and the people of Kenya receiving our water. Think living water of Christ.... 
The last picture shows one of acts in the handover celebration. There were 3.5 hours of speeches by many politicians, dancing and drumming by the local older men and women. And the following picture shows a tableau of small school children depicting the many uses of water and the ways the wells would alleviate the burdens of the people. First the teacher gave the speech, then the child repeated her words. They enacted washing clothing, cooking, gardening, watering animals, women carrying water on their backs. Note the child's clothing. The ceremony was held on the school grounds. Over 1,000 people attended. The children sang beautiful songs. when I asked what they were singing, the school Principal said they were the songs the sang each morning after praying and reading the Bible. By the way, there are up to 55 chldren in the classrooms. The younger classes are the largest. I asked how they could possibly discipline that many children...the answer is THE CANE. They were shocked that teachers in the U.S. do not use a cane and puzzled over how the children could possibly be kept in line. I didn't tell her that in many instances they are not. (Underlining unintentional...don't know how to eliminate).
Once again, Church was wonderful. The simple faith and acceptance of the people is amazing. And their knowledge of the Bible is much deeper than ours since they study it in school.

Once again, Church was wonderful. The simple faith and acceptance of the people is amazing. And their knowledge of the Bible is much deeper than ours since they study it in school.
Roz,
ReplyDeleteI am so so sorry to hear about your mom. I think your decline to flying home to be with her shows your commitment to your calling by our Heavenly Father and the faith that you have in him that he will take care of her and reunite her with your father. On that note, I am relieved. Although I don't think anything is as painful as losing a parent. I am amazed at your strength, always have been. I know that our Heavenly Father will help you and your family through this trial. I will pray for you and your family. I love and miss you so much. God bless you!