We just returned from a 140 mile trip that took 5 hours. Sections of the road are bumpy packed rocks and dirt, a small part of the highway is 4-lanes and divided. Most of it is hilly two-lane highways with LOTS of slow trucks, speed bumps through small towns, trucks that are having mechanical trouble pulled off the side of the road (no shoulder) with traffic dodging around it. John drove on the way back so it took even longer (not used to driving on the left side of the road nor to passing on crowded 2 lane highways). We drove through a portion of the Nairobi game park, so saw some giraffes from a distance. We saw many baboons. And on the approach to Maneaters, where we were staying for 2 nights, there were 2 grazing zebras. They are not afraid of people, but I understand that they are not nice animals so we didn't approach them. Unfortunately I ate a fruit salad the first night we were there and got sick. So the first day's trip I stayed in the hotel and rested. There was a herd of baboons on the opposite side of the river from our tent cabin. There must have been 40 of them capering by, with one BIG male at the end. During the day, I noticed a small monkey on the porch of my cabin. I was glad that I didn't have anything on the deck or it would have disappeared with the monkey. I was able to sleep for several hours, hopefully the extra sleep will cure my jet lag.
This morning we left the hotel at 8:00 and arrived home at 4:30. We spent a couple of hours on the way back to Nairobi examining a borehole and water tanks the Church put in a small community. We drove over some unbelievable roads to get there. The hills are terraced for farming. The main crops are corn, beans, mangoes, onions, cabbage. We traveled back to the main road via a small mountain town that was having market day. People were walking to it from all different directions bringing all their wares, including farm animals, to sell. It was slow going in our truck.
We went to our first Church meeting Sunday. It was wonderful. The talks and lessons were excellent. There were strong, doctrinally-based comments. There was no piano or organ, and the chorister stood up and sang the first line of a song, then the congregation followed her in singing the hymn. But they sang with gusto. I was very impressed.
No comments:
Post a Comment